10 Things To Know When Building A Game
The gaming industry has established itself as one of the most rapidly growing economic sectors, with worldwide revenues expected to exceed $200 billion by 2023. Apart from their economic value, video games are extremely appealing and enjoyable to play. Immersive video games, in particular, can transport players beyond their immediate worlds. As a result, both young and old enjoy playing video games.
Over the years, hundreds of different game genres have emerged, but most recently one particular genre, Play to Earn (P2E), has captured the attention of millions of gamers and game developers worldwide. This new game model is a massive departure from traditional games, most notably in P2E games, players are able to earn money just by playing the game. This is in stark contrast to previous game models where players would purchase a game and play it, but would not receive any sort of financial rewards in return.
P2E itself has some sub-genres within it, the most distinguished of which are NFT games such as “Axie Infinity” and “Sandbox”, where players have earned millions of dollars since these games launched. Building one of these games can be intimidating as a beginner though, as they require a comprehensive suite of tools for development and launch.
If you’ve got a fantastic and unique game idea but aren’t sure where to begin, fear not! metaENGINE has simplified the process of developing and launching a multi-asset integrated Web3 game, with its fully equipped cloud-based platform and advanced developer tools.
Here are ten things to know when building a game.
- Think Outside The Box: Building a game is quite a task. If it weren’t, everyone would build one. Creating anything worthwhile, especially a video game, requires more than bravery. Game development is a herculean endeavor that entails planning, designing, implementing, distributing, and maintaining the game. As a developer or game creator, you should be prepared to invest time and money into transforming your vision into a product that the world will embrace. To create the Axie Infinity killer, you must think outside the box.
- Interpret Your Idea Concisely: This is where you put your pen to paper and detail your concept for execution. Provide specific details about the game’s story, design, gaming environment (2D or 3D), user interface, and play model (P2E). Consider the integration of audio and the immersive capability. For example, when using a 3D environment, you must choose a 3D framework, which has a significant impact on your choice of development software, the look and feel of your game, as well as overall performance. Additionally, you should consider whether the game will be accessible on web or mobile devices.
- Develop a solid project plan — Game development is not a quick process. Trello, Asana, and Slack are all excellent tools for project planning, with free tier usage available as you go. Without a systematic approach, things will inevitably fall through the cracks, jeopardizing the entire development project. Bear in mind that whatever plan you devise should not be considered final. Because game design is an iterative process, your plan must reflect this.
- Establish a budget: Typically, a game’s budget is divided into two categories: ‘one-time costs’ and ‘recurring costs’. One-time costs are associated with production and launch, while recurring costs are associated with game maintenance, marketing, new upgrades, salaries, taxes, insurance, and rent, among other things. Once you’ve defined the one-time costs, you can determine how quickly your game can be deployed.
- Select an efficient game engine: Selecting a game engine is critical. Each game developer has unique objectives and feature requirements, which is why you must select the platform that best meets your needs. Developers no longer have to worry about starting from scratch with metaENGINE. metaENGINE is the world’s only all-in-one Web3 game development platform, featuring the most advanced infrastructure and the integration of a plethora of tools for creating and launching metaverse games.
- Make a playable prototype: Developing your game will require a great deal of trial and error, and you may discover that some of the things you thought were brilliant ideas don’t work as well in practice. As a result, begin with a prototype to get a sense of your game. Play the game independently and document any issues or questions that arise. Additionally, organize a playtest session with other designers to obtain adequate feedback.
- Conduct market research: Conduct a thorough market analysis. Conduct research on similar games in the market making a comprehensive competitive analysis of their user interface, user base, technology and reviews. Always keep an eye out for competitors’ weak points that give your game an advantage. You may think you have the most original idea until you come across a similar game.
- Be Patient: Good things take time and game building should not be rushed. Your eagerness to launch must not overrule the need for details.
- Build your game: Once your research is complete, you can begin developing your game. metaENGINE can streamline your development process, saving you both time and money. Bear in mind that creating a fantastic video game for yourself is one thing. However, if you wish to monetize your game, you must consider your audience. What motivates them? What inspires them?
- Publish and market your game: Near the end of the development phase, you should begin strategic marketing across many relevant platforms. Create a website for the game and promote it via social media. Include a demo version of the game on the website in order to generate interest in the full game. Distribute free or subsidized versions of the game and upload it to game or app stores when it is complete.
Build on metaENGINE
MetaEngine is a first-of-its-kind cloud-based platform for developing blockchain games, where developers can find all the advanced tools necessary to build and launch the most immersive game possible in the metaverse. metaENGINE’s multi-chain infrastructure enables a frictionless decentralized network system that outperforms any traditional game engine.
Building on metaENGINE is akin to shopping at the mall. Everything you need is readily available on the shelves. Once you’ve built your game, releasing it to the world has never been easier with metaENGINE’s publishing platform. Join the growing community of game developers who have already started on metaENGINE to gain access to critical crypto integration tools like NFT minting, forging, and decentralized metadata storage.